Server Lag
I am only hosting 2 servers (niether at the full 20 slots) and my upload is more then enough to host them...but for some reason all the servers will suddenly get everyone with the exception of 2 or 3 ppl to lag and then everyone but those 2 or 3 ppl will get kicked...
what might possible solutions be? or whatnot
Thanks given by:
If your bandwidth is just enough to run at your capacity, demo downloads may be overloading it. Try limiting demo downloads to during intermission with -DI in your servercmdline.
Thanks given by:
if you home host, and you exit programs and pull up programs or minimize ac or basically do anything on your computer while you home host the guys in the server will lag, but only between 10sec,-1min, depending on how long you are doing stuff.
Thanks given by:
A 10-second server lag is usually enough to eject players.
Thanks given by:
(07 Mar 11, 06:52PM)Joe Smith Wrote: **snipped**

Well, I know JustinBieber uses a mac, and I don't know if you can do this on macs, but, I know in windows (and maybe linux?) you can give certain processes higher priority over others... If you gave the ac_server a higher priority, would that fix this problem?
Thanks given by:
(08 Mar 11, 04:21AM)Thrawn Wrote:
(07 Mar 11, 06:52PM)Joe Smith Wrote: **snipped**

Well, I know JustinBieber uses a mac, and I don't know if you can do this on macs, but, I know in windows (and maybe linux?) you can give certain processes higher priority over others... If you gave the ac_server a higher priority, would that fix this problem?

I dont run my servers off of Mac, I only play off of Mac. I run my servers on a Windows based PC which has XP OS

Thanks given by:
As long as your network is congested, no not really.
Thanks given by:
Network traffic is almost the only thing that affects server lag. Giving the server a higher priority would help overcome server-side processing problems, but neglect the bigger issue of internet connectivity.
Thanks given by:
(08 Mar 11, 04:21AM)Thrawn Wrote: Well, I know JustinBieber uses a mac, and I don't know if you can do this on macs, but, I know in windows (and maybe linux?) you can give certain processes higher priority over others... If you gave the ac_server a higher priority, would that fix this problem?
Yes, you can give AC server higher "nice" value on Linux.
Or as it says: "The priority of a process is given by its nice value. A lower nice value corresponds to higher priority."
Thanks given by:
Get a real OS. :P
Seriously though, if you have to run a home server you can try these to see if they help (I won't go into detail; do some research):
- Set QoS in the router for the server to reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for it only.
- Optimize the server OS - remove unnecessary startup processes, eye candy, etc. that may be slowing it down. Especially if you don't use the XP box for anything else, you have no reason to have anything but the AC server running.
- No wireless. Just don't.
Thanks given by:
Wireless is the bane of servers. Especially if you want some microwave burritos but your server is running :(
Thanks given by:
ima have laggin on my server.. server start and stop with error,rundom time stop error,1 hour ~ 10 hours
Thanks given by: