Server registration
Ok so I decided to run a server and had it set to not register or even attempt to register with the master server yet I had a client connect through the MS. I was hosting a fun little game with a few friends from ac, and one actually came in just through the master server. Is this some sort of serious bug or something?

My log:
logging local AssaultCube server (version 1104, protocol 1132/104) now..
read 30 map rotation entries from 'config\maprot.cfg'
read 9 admin passwords from 'config\serverpwd.cfg'
read 30 (31) blacklist entries from 'config\serverblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
read 0 + 2 entries from nickname blacklist file 'config\nicknameblacklist.cfg', 0 errors
dedicated server started, waiting for clients...
Ctrl-C to exit
looking up localhost...
WARNING: could not connect
(connections start here as normal...)

Then doing a /connect worked fine yet one client stated that they connected through the master server. What could have happened?

Oh and also, it was a first time connect through the MS.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Oh and also, it was a first time connect through the MS.
What does that mean?

Is it possible you ran the server without using the -m switch first, then closed it and ran it again with -mlocalhost?
If so, your server would have been registered briefly, and still been in the MS list.
Thanks given by:
I ran the server with the -mlocalhost switch only and had only run the newly created server once but apparently it registered with the master for a connecting client. What I mean exactly is that the person that connected had not previously connected and it was his first time to enter the server directly through the master server.

In addition to:
The server had not been run for some time so I know he didn't do a /connect. The server is not advertised anywhere either so the only way for him to have connected was through the MS as he claims.
Thanks given by:
(17 Mar 11, 10:07AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: Oh and also, it was a first time connect through the MS.

I'm pretty sure the reason he mentioned it is because he knows that if you /connect to a server that isn't registered with the masterserver, it will be added to the list of servers, and appear to be on the masterserver list
Thanks given by:
How would you even know that he connected "through" the master server?

EDIT: Oh wait, does that
(17 Mar 11, 10:07AM)X-Ray_Dog Wrote: one client stated that they connected through the master server.
mean a guy said in the chat that he came to your server through an entry in the server browser?
Thanks given by:
tempest: probably, yes.
Thanks given by:
It's also possible that the IP was registered by somebody else - it's a very theoretical explanation, but not entirely impossible. More likely, I'd say, was that the client in question was using some script to include your IP into the list of servers.

removed portion of post
Thanks given by: