Poll: Would care if the AC community eventually stopped existing
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No. I'm ready to move on.
12.82%
5 12.82%
Yes but there's nothing really to do about it.
25.64%
10 25.64%
Yes, and something should be done to ensure that the community stays alive.
61.54%
24 61.54%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

My Thoughts. Would like input.
Welp. Went on AC today. Was the first time in a couple months and I ran into ShadowZ and we had a little in-game chat about what's happening to the game. I'm sad to say that it looks even more dead now than it did when I was on last. We can collectively come to a conclusion. AC was a generational thing. Most people who have stopped playing have done so because they are at a point in their life where they must pay attention to more important things. Some of the ex-ACers have families. Some could have high-paying intensive careers. Everyone who has moved on is about the same age. We can see that, with these players gone, the AC community wasn't tacking on more members to compensate for the losses.

So I posted a poll here...I want to know: would you guys care if AC just kind of slips away and stops being played all together in a couple years? I mean I want honest answers. I'm not trying to sound like a dick when I ask that question so please don't be offended. I'm just wondering if anyone here really really wants the game around anymore.

I mean I do. I don't get on very much at all and I've given up making maps but I still love the game for what it is/was.

I guess if people care about this game so much so that they want to see a resurgence in community activity, then something must be done to initiate this activity. I've probably said it before but the game needs publicity. I don't know if that means spamming every single gaming forum inviting people to come try it out or not. Hell, I know many of you are opposed to this but even putting the game on steam could be a good idea to get more to play.

If you feel as though there is a way to revitalize AC community, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks given by:
I'm sort of inbetween your yes options. I do very much care for AC, at least I would hope so, and I love being able to jump into little underground caverns with the community (Teamspeak?, IRC?). The problem is yes, something should be done but what? What can be done? This is a free game so unless we get swamped with donations or whatever, we can't do targeted ads of any kind. Word of mouth has sort of died down. Sourceforge still shows AC being downloaded a few thousand times a week though which is odd so there is still some interest.

So why do the new people leave? New players when they want to register on our forum a lot of the time are impatient for an admin to approve accounts so many don't come back after the first day they register (From what I can tell). Registration was made to be approved by an admin because of spam and other hate activity by some fork of AC gone wrong, etc. I've also heard things such as devs being close minded (I'm sure Undead can chime in here plenty) or mods being over-reactive on the forum or too much censorship and the like. I'm not calling Undead out btw, well maybe now, but he's been right on some key points and devs have been very closed minded in some aspects. I don't code so there's not much it seems like I even contribute game wise but it's happened to even myself with just basic forum administration stuff. Focusing more of the in game stuff, blacklists. Ranges are huge and a newbie isn't going to probably put much effort into a game with so little info as to why multiplayer isn't working. There are so many tutorials for newbies but unfortunately AC can be downloaded from more than just our website so not everyone may find that especially if they only browse sourceforge directly (Or even github now).

Steam? Aren't there fees or some crap you have to pay for that?

There are issues to work out but I think even as of recently, we've been pushing for people to contribute and help for a new release.
Thanks given by:
This game can be very heartbreaking to me at times, but it's the only multiplayer FPS I can currently play and I'd still choose this gameplay over the likes of pay2win Crossfire. So I chose the third option, and not just for reasons regarding the accessibility. It would very much be a waste for the memories this game has given to players and the efforts that were extended to the development of the game to all just be thrown away in the garbage can; I'd rather we continue this till its ultimation. As there is a beginning, there is an inevitable end. But abrupt endings are quite distasteful, regretful.

The game itself is quite refined, but there's always room for improvement; a significant role that the community plays. Here we have the forum,  wherein cubers alike can communicate their ideas, and where the diligent ones can provide their service in a plethora of ways, whether it be in mapping, bug catching, reporting players for their nefarious behaviour and whatnot. Ideas need to be exchanged to pave for opportunities. Whether we decide to take these opportunities or not will ultimately decide the community's growth. We have our own responsibilities, as do our developers. If we neglect our responsibilities then we will only suffer the loss of our valuables. So do what you will, and make sure it's your own.

http://imgur.com/uVrIU19,1xxwk8V,Ncxhejn...,X9cKfCL#0

Regarding the developers "close-mindedness", I'm not very sure what to make of it. As I've only registered in these forums like a month ago, I doubt I'd be able to provide a credible opinion. They've been here for quite long, looking over this community as they keep their responsibilities in check. We might have our differences, but it's best not to let negativity take over you. Tolerate one another, even those you may not understand. And don't let misunderstandings develop into tragic realities; the pitfall is deeper than you think.

Jamz here might have been a bit reckless, but overall he kept his composure. You, as part of the community, must not lose sight of yourself. If you can't do that much, then how do you expect yourself to comprehend others? You are not a tool to be abusively moderated by those with upper authority, you are a being with a free will. If that ever changes, then your very entity is being violated. Likewise, you must not look up to those with greater power as special existences; they're as every little bit of human as you are. So do not expect anymore than for them to be themselves. To be unreasonably burdened is the equivalent of losing your free will.

I plan to make this community more lively, but since my right to post threads was revoked, my options are quite limited. How does Assaultcube compare to other games? That's a difficult question. But the obvious answer is that the others are more well-known. And what of its community, indeed? The one big candle that keeps this flame alive and well... we should oversee to it that the winds will not blow this way. That can be done simply by being an active member here.

I'll keep on posting as I see fit. I'll play the game as I see fit. I'll object to decisions as I see fit. I'll approach IRC as I see fit. I'll see to it that I can see myself, still. And I will see to it that the others here are alive and well. That's what makes this such a worthwhile experience.
Thanks given by:
I don't understand other fps games. Beyond a semblance of teamwork, like actually being surprised when people work together in AC, it's exactly what I personally want out of a game. The "meat and potatoes" minus the potatoes really. I think one of the great things about AC is also it's biggest downfall... the engine/graphics. It's nice to be able to play a game on practically a laptop with a CPU made up of a hamster in a wheel, but I don't think it's necessary anymore. I think those that love the game mostly love it IN SPITE OF the crappy graphics and lack of game-play animations. I think that it's time for a re-vamp. I heard it suggested to use the cube 2 engine, and maybe that's a start. Maybe even the quake engine that's used for Alien Arena. I know it's a lot of work and will completely change the game, but if the devs hearts are in it, I think the same gameplay elements will be there that we all love, and the graphics will will be MORE up to par with the younger generation. I don't want to see the game fade into obscurity. But I don't want it raped to the point it's unrecognizable as AC either. The existence of cheap online downloads like on "Steam" and such are actually pushing opensource games in general out of rotation. Sad, but true
Thanks given by:
The matter regarding Assaultcube's popularity in these modern times can be interpreted in many ways, but obviously there are several factors aside from visual quality that can't be disregarded if we are to consider the actual significance of the subject. Perhaps if I wasn't confined in these conditions where I have to play with 30 fps and repulsive pings, my main game would not be Assaultcube. But there are other audiences that have different perceptions of the ideal game. Mostly misled, but it's not like they're entirely mindless. The newborns get to play with their modern toys, and their beliefs are shaped as they immerse themselves in the modern playgrounds. As they are placed in foreign environments, feelings of conflict and confusion emerge. This is inevitable. Whether or not they remain depends on the encouragement factor. Babies need parents to comfort them, to lead them in times of distress. To provide them education, so that they will not remain entirely helpless. It's hard for a modern kiddie to immerse himself into the workings of Assaultcube, but when have we been such solitary creatures? We'll learn from others, simply. So there's the community.

We should all try to encourage our newborns to keep going. How so? That's a very difficult matter. For starters, give them advice so that they won't be entirely helpless in the battlefields. Make them strong enough to be able to cope in the pubs. Make them see that there are things aside from eye-candy. You know, actual fun derived from actual gameplay. This can be quite hard. Sometimes you want to give up. Sometimes these trials instead seem like timeless, pointless obstacles to surpass. But now you've placed yourself on their positions. This is how it is for them.

In a game like Assaultcube, perhaps it is truly fun only when you reside in the community, and do community stuff and all. It would be quite nice if pubbies started posting in the forums. Maybe, tell the developers how it is for them. Their adventures in Camper and Twintowers and the like. That's how the community will start being alive. Then it will seem to people that this game is alive and is worth playing. All in all, a multiplayer game is still much like a social hotspot. If no one's there, then no one ever will. Crappy games get played this way. Call of Duty, the most notable example.
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah every Cuber should make children .. In 15 years we hace doubled the amunt of players!!!
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 14, 02:21PM)Robtics Wrote: Lol, yeah every Cuber should make children .. In 15 years we hace doubled the amunt of players!!!

Best idea ever
Thanks given by:
The forum is white. I'm pretty sure the AC apocalypse just started.
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 14, 03:32PM)Nightmare Wrote: The forum is white. I'm pretty sure the AC apocalypse just started.

My eyes are already bleeding. Rip
Thanks given by:
AC (community) has already stopped to exist...
Thanks given by:
Still say Steam is becoming a necessity whether players here like it or not.
If AC managed to get through greenlight, it'd grab 1000+ players easily.
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 12:11AM)Nightmare Wrote: Still say Steam is becoming a necessity whether players here like it or not.
If AC managed to get through greenlight, it'd grab 1000+ players easily.

I agree, however, there are some things that would have to be fixed/improved before then most likely.
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 12:11AM)Nightmare Wrote: If AC managed to get through greenlight, it'd grab 1000+ players easily.

And how many of those would stick around? you can read a thread about quake's debut to steam on esreality, and the net gain of players isn't incredibly promising, although it's incredibly significant for a game/community as small as AC (it's worth noting that in this thread, the reason they're talking about "old players leaving" is because there were significant and unpopular gameplay changes that coincided with quake's valve venture and it caused a huge uproar).

For the record I also support AC on steam (just allow people to use the standalone client like they can now as well), but I just don't think it's the answer to everything. And also I don't understand why people are voting for "nothing can be done" in the poll, such pessimists.
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 12:55AM)Vanquish Wrote: Just allow people to use the standalone client like they can now as well.

Tales of Maj'Eyal is a good precedent for this. It remains free and open source on it's website, downloadable with no need for steam. But it's also available for purchase on Steam to extend it's playerbase.
Thanks given by:
(30 Nov 14, 06:10PM)Honor Wrote:
(30 Nov 14, 03:32PM)Nightmare Wrote: The forum is white. I'm pretty sure the AC apocalypse just started.

My eyes are already bleeding. Rip

My eyes bleed with you :(
Thanks given by:
i tried to ignore it but how do i return to the default forum theme
Thanks given by:
This game will be dead in maybe 2 years if we don't change something. It would be a shame for all this hard work that people put in this game to go to waste in 2 years. All that coding, modding, mapping, clan wars, ladders and time put into this would be completely forgotten. I do not want that so I F1 for steam. Also, he MerCyKill you slutt <3
Thanks given by:
Yay. Yet another thread discussing the "deadness" of the game and who called it dead first and who killed it...

...and of course, all our forum heroes are here, and our jester even knows, how to get 1000 more.

btw: the last, very similar thread had a lot of people "I'd like to help, if someone would let me" - and yet, zero response to the thread about testing new features - and the ones, who responded to the "how to setup a test environment" thread were, of course, not those, who offered to "help" in the forum.

If you want to help, and you can't help the development (or the code is too smelly for your fine nose) - how about you organise a tournament? I'd suggest a 2vs2 team tournament with each match consisting of 5 different short games (modes and maps)...

Or you can start another thread about how no one is doing anything.
Thanks given by:
Project Leaders
ärkefiende
Coding, Windows packaging, VisualStudio configuration, documentation.
Nigel “RandumKiwi”
Linux packaging, maps, site design, documentation, config/menus.
James “jamz” Harris
Community maintenance extraordinaire
, textures, documentation.
These are the main areas of contribution.
this is clear, right?
Xenophobic servers supported by "TEAM".

The lack of [i][b]"official" championships. (ok, np, i know.. but you can do more support for it.)
I'm not talking about championships created by nobs with no experience  who just want to self promote.[/b][/i]

this is a game created by programmers for programmers, not for players. So stop fooling yourself. ;)
This forum is exactly a picture of the people who manage it. In the same way game ...

Cheaters and VPN's ... unjustified servers Blocks and more.

There is always the promise that this will improve ... it never happens, only worsens.
The [i][b] previous  "Team" was much better. This is the reason why the old players feel nostalgia ...[/b][/i]...

Today the community is made only by the king's friends and the meanest. And the meanest are running out.

(HTML failure)
Thanks given by:
Yes stef because tournaments work

* Marti still waiting to play the tosok final after more than a month
Thanks given by:
This game doesn't need a tournament, it needs more players. The only reason people host tournaments any more is to actually play 3v3 without having to look for an hour. If this game we were to actually get more players, we wouldn't need tournaments because the competitive scene would be healthy. Steam should definitely be considered an option.

List of Pros and Cons if we go to Steam.

Pros
More Players
Better Competitive Scene
More Coders could come and help with development(maybe)
Pubs could actually be competitive again(hopefully)

Cons
Downloading the game through Steam would be annoying(Steam is actually less buggy than it was a year ago)

What I see from going to Steam is so many possibilities. What is the worst thing that could happen if we go to Steam?
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 03:19PM)stef Wrote: ...and of course, all our forum heroes are here, and our jester even knows how to get 1000 more.

Be grateful AC has 'forum heroes' who turn a doom & gloom thread into a legit discussion on ideas to help boost the playerbase. We could all easily give up and join the 'it's dead' party.
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 04:56PM)bballn45 Wrote:  What is the worst thing that could happen if we go to Steam?

more noobs maybe ?

and that sums it up

#AC4Steam
Thanks given by:
I dont think the problem is AC's current state of development or that there are no new players coming but rather that us regulars are to peacocky to play with our real names and clan tags outside of inters and cm's.

How will a new player get to know the competitive/regular scene if the only thing he meets ingame are seemingly superb aliases that he will most likely never see again. Also noobs are very rarely accepted in inters, they usually consist of mid-skilled players and above only.

The gap between high and low skill is to high imo and I think it might already be a step in the right direction if lower or mid-skilled players get an actual chance to play among high-skilled players more.
Thanks given by:
Something that could help this game in the short run is feeder clans. Feeder clans help bring these low skilled players into the competitive scene. Something else that could do that is an Assault Cube hosted ladder server. For all you old cubers that remember hi-skill, that is how I was introduced into the competitive scene. Once I started gaming on the ladder servers, I just then realized how competitive this game actually is. There is so many ladders out there now like BoB, TyD, AC-Frag Log but just none of them feels right to me(no offense I was spoiled by hi-skill). Either the servers are down, noone is playing on the servers, or the new version of AC just came out and it has to adapt to it. If Assault Cube development had its own ladder running on the AC Forums, At like ladder.cubers.net or something, the ladder would be advertised on the AC forums showing all gamers that there is such a thing. I know I would donate money, servers, and anything else that I could possibly do to this idea coming true. I played AC for over 1 year until i found out about hi-skill due to the lack of advertising on it. I saw all the servers saying Hi-Skill Ladder Server and such but I honestly had no idea what a ladder server was. If Assault Cube Forums hosted a ladder, then new gamers could learn about it instantly and could play competitively in servers right away. This would also fix Robtics problem of people not aliasing in pubs. People would want their stats to be updated instead of their alias they use for that day. What are the devs thoughts on this possible AC Ladder?

How I found AC: I was first introduced to the Cube games by the application in the Apple Store called Cube. I thought it was an awesome application for my iPhone so I decided to look it up on the internet. I found Sauerbraten and AC shortly after looking it up and instantly fell in love with Assault Cube. I am so glad that I found that advertisement that day and I feel that somehow advertising this game somewhere could make so many more players love this game. It is truly one of a kind. It does not have to be through steam but somehow we have to let people find out and give this game a try. If the development team is truly against the Steam suggestion, I am sure there is another way to show these gamers about this amazing game.
Thanks given by:
I wish I knew entirely what to do about it, but I do at least feel that something can and should be done, and I admire the passion for that in this thread. I'll take what little advice I can individually, such as that above to use names more consistently to present the appearance of the solid player base that we still actually have.
Thanks given by:
Save AssaultCube - Play it! =)
Thanks given by:
(01 Dec 14, 03:19PM)stef Wrote: all our forum heroes are here

[Image: IM8PZWA.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^ This is the best freakin thing I've seen on these forums yet.
Thanks given by:
I have a new desktop wallpaper.
Thanks given by: