Light Reading Thread
There doesn't seem to be much discussion here about what people are reading for fun (not that I've actually looked), so I decided to start this thread. Post whatever you're reading at the moment.

I just got copies of McLuhan's Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man and Wittgenstein's Tractus Logico-Philosophicus. The funny thing is that there is no publisher, editor, or even translator credited for the copy of Tractus I have, but then again, it's not exactly a book that very many people care about.

[Image: BE9Ma3hCUAA-AA0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Through some bizarre turn of events, I never read 1984.
So I'm reading that.
Thanks given by:
Bill Bryson: a small history of almost everything
Thanks given by:
Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition - Mark Rippetoe
5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength - Jim Wendler
Thanks given by:
[Image: %252522Il%2Bnome%2Bdella%2Brosa%252522%2Bcopertina.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm reading through a bunch of seri?/serieses?/series? that I read through when I was 10.
Ranger's Apprentice, Artemis Fowl, Skulduggery Pleasant, Young Bond, Troll Fell/Mill/Blood, Alex Rider, STORM...
Thanks given by:
Two points Habluka:
Your typo, Tractus, made me chuckle a little, considering what it means, and I can't believe someone tested/started a biro on the cover of Understanding Media; not very understanding of them.

Pweaks: I'm a fan of Foucault's Pendulum, Eco's follow up to The Name Of The Rose. It's harder going, but as rewarding.

I'm currently reading Catch 22 and have Pynchon's V up next.

Read more, kids!
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 01:07PM)pweaks Wrote:

While I haven't actually read any of his books, I read this book, which is a discussion between Eco and Jean-Claude Carrière. Is that one any good, because I've been meaning to get around to actually giving something by him a try at some point.
[Image: 2ffjy.jpg]

(10 Mar 13, 01:39PM)jamz Wrote: Two points Habluka:
Your typo, Tractus, made me chuckle a little, considering what it means, and I can't believe someone tested/started a biro on the cover of Understanding Media; not very understanding of them.

I have no intention of fixing that typo because it is pretty funny. Also, the copy of the McLuhan book is from when my dad was in university, so don't blame me. If anything, blame it on the person who owned it first back in 1969 since his name and various annotations throughout the book were written with a blue ballpoint pen.
Thanks given by:
Like all of Eco's work, there's ton of stuff in his books. I mean, there's alot of info about middle ages. But if you're a experienced reader I don't think this is a problem.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Holy-Bible_20110524052238.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 03:03PM)Marti Wrote:

Thanks given by:
Confessions of St. Augustine.
I personally am not a Christian, but it's still an interesting read.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 03:04PM)Habluka Wrote:

ah fck you ruined it
Thanks given by:
holy shit.

Thanks given by:
[Image: martinlutherkingt20829.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes, they are interesting books that talk about paradox. The book "Metamorphosis" Kafka is also interesting.
Currently I'm short on time, but I'm reading: Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Edited:
Thanks given by:
what is the image for lol?
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 06:39PM)kleinkariert Wrote:
holy shit.

pick your poison
Thanks given by:
shaf is a true champion. I'm in the process of collecting all the works of Kurt Vonnegut. In the midst of that I'm also picking up various Faulkner novels when i find them at used book stores. Oddly, it's easier to find faulkner at used book stores than any other prominent writer. no idea why.

@jamz,
someone stole my copy of catch 22. read less kids! i want to retain my library.
Thanks given by:
(10 Mar 13, 01:39PM)jamz Wrote: I'm currently reading Catch 22

(one of my) Favorite book(s) <3
Thanks given by:
Well, one of the things I ordered myself for my birthday (A copy of Ourai no Gahkthun) came early. I think this should count as something that I'm reading since that's pretty much all that you do in VNs.
Thanks given by:
(11 Mar 13, 01:28AM)Waffles Wrote: I'm in the process of collecting all the works of Kurt Vonnegut.
Just read Slaughterhouse-Five. It was a pretty interesting read, finished it within a day.
Thanks given by:
salughterhouse-five is one of his better books according to him. to get really into his writing style i suggest reading more of him if you enjoyed it. Usually people will read cat's cradle after S5.
Thanks given by:
[Image: Cooking-Your-Dog.png]
Thanks given by:
(15 Mar 13, 01:04AM)Waffles Wrote: salughterhouse-five is one of his better books according to him. to get really into his writing style i suggest reading more of him if you enjoyed it. Usually people will read cat's cradle after S5.

My favorite of his books was Sirens of Titan, so I usually recommend that to people who want to read Vonnegut.
Thanks given by:
That was his first iirc and it is quite good. I would recommend anything by vonnegut personally. But Breakfast of Champions and Slapstick were my personal favorites.
Thanks given by:
Book #1

Book #2
Thanks given by:
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, and Odyssey
Thanks given by:
(15 Mar 13, 07:57PM)C4rma Wrote: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies, and Odyssey

I was recently discussing something about translations with someone I know, and because of something that was brought up, I'm a little curious about which translation of The Odyssey you are reading. Mainly, does it maintain the structure of how it was written by having some sort of verse, or does it completely ignore this to make it work more easily in whatever language you're reading it in?

This is also spurred by one of the books I got in the mail a couple days ago, Byrne, which was written by Anthony Burgess, which was almost entirely written in ottava rima.
Thanks given by: